Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago today

We were living on Kauai and still in bed when we got a call.  It was our friend/neighbor Helen and she just said, "turn on the tv."  She couldn't speak.  We turned on the TV and could not believe what was happening. I don't remember a lot of the details from that day.  Did we take Ryan to school?  Would we have, if we were possibly under attack?  I don't even know.  But here are some memories:

Flipping channels and feeling horrified by the news.

Going to work and watching updates...crying when the towers fell.  Crying when the same footage of the planes crashing showed over and over again.

Crying and feeling the most patriotic I've ever felt in my life when the members of Congress were on the Capitol stairs and started spontaneously singing "God Bless America."  (I haven't thought about that in a while and I just started tearing up thinking of it.)

Being glued to the TV that night and for weeks after, being moved listening to stories of heroism and tragedy.

"Let's roll."


Going through airport security and seeing soldiers with rifles guarding the gates.

We were no longer safe.  People in a faraway place who had been fighting wars with each other for centuries suddenly turned their anger on us, U.S.  Why?

Life as we knew it changed that day.

No comments: