Wednesday, June 11, 2008

11 on the 11th

I saw a cool idea on a blog...every 10th of the month, the woman took 10 photos during the day that represented her life or that point in time. Since I missed the 10th, I decided to try the 11th, but didn't even take 11 photos; I never realized how hard it was to remember to take "everyday" photos rather than photos of an event or activity.

Photo #1: This is the first photo I took yesterday, the 11th...of Ryan in the car in the morning eating portugese sausage, eggs and rice from McDonald's.

Photo #2: Going up Likelike Hwy, this is the view of the Koolaus. We have a pretty awesome commute, but usually too busy driving to notice or appreciate it.
Photo #3: Entering the Wilson Tunnel. Per Wikipedia: "The John H. Wilson Tunnels are a pair of highway tunnels passing through the Ko‘olau Range on the island of O‘ahu. The tunnels are located on Likelike Highway, which connects Kaneohe with Honolulu, and are 2775 feet (845.8 m) long westbound and 2813 feet (857.4 m) long eastbound.
The tunnels are named after former Honolulu Mayor John H. Wilson, who built the first carriage road over the Nu‘uanu Pali in 1898. While mayor, Wilson advocated a tunnel connecting Kaneohe with Honolulu through Kalihi Valley. The City and County of Honolulu opened the tunnels to traffic in 1960. The tunnels are now maintained by the Hawaii State Department of Transportation." Never knew who the tunnels were named after until I just looked it up. And I've been traveling through them since I was a two, when we moved to Kaneohe!

Photo #4 was of my car, a Lexus RX350, parked in the hotel garage. Not showing here because the lighting was pretty bad and it didn't come out well. But the reason I took it was because there was a lot to say about our life now...how I hardly drive nowadays because Darrell and I carpool several days a week since gas is so expensive, so my driving that day was unusual...how it showed me backed into the stall, which I pretty much learned how to do since working there, needing to park that way out of necessity, and being able to do it because of the backup sensors and side mirrors that tilt down when the car is in reverse (cool!)...how I had to have THREE screws/nails taken out of THREE tires this past month, have no idea how it happened...how I am usually listening to 101.9 on the radio because that's the rock station Ryan likes (and I like it too...had Jason Mraz's song in my head all day)...how I have four CDs in my car player right now ~ soundtracks from the movie "Enchanted" and the play "Wicked," Colbie Caillet's "Bubbly" album, and Jack Johnson's newest, "Sleep Through the Static."

Photo #5: My dual screens at work. Love them! Can look at two different things at the same time, transferring data from one program to another, or checking email if it pops up on Outlook while still keeping what I was working on up front. To the left is my laptop and my Franklin Covey planner, totally essential stuff. Got some photos behind me to personalize the space. Weird stuff about my office: my floor slants slightly so sometimes when I stand up my chair rolls away from the desk, and I've caught three mice in sticky traps in the 20 months I've been working! No, I get someone else to pick them up and toss them...yuck! Also have a refrigerator with Diet Coke stocked!

So that was it...FIVE photos out of ELEVEN on the ELEVENTH. Gave up after I started getting busy at work. Other photos I later thought of taking: of the TV tuned to "Jon and Kate Plus 8" which Ryan and I love watching, our takeout dinner from Kenko-Ya, a great restaurant in Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center, Ryan depositing his paycheck at the bank, Ryan texting Haley, who is traveling with her family on the mainland, the guitar repair shop where we took Ryan's Ybanez and where Ryan got to "talk guitar" for a while with the owner, who I found out is a luthier, someone who makes or repairs stringed instruments (never heard the word before but saw it on his business card).

Well, that would only be TEN. It was the Kamehameha Day holiday but I worked a half day and will take another half day on Friday when Ryan's friends come over for a sleepover and practice session. I guess it wasn't a really notable day, but maybe that's the point of this exercise.

No comments: