- I have been telling Darrell to get rid of his truck for a while now, since we were both unemployed. Well, actually I've been unhappy about his getting it to begin with, since he did it right before the gas prices went sky-high, but ESPECIALLY when he snuck out and got the rims and bumper, which were ridiculous-expensive.
- He finally traded it in for a new Kia Soul, which we had discussed. Yay to gas savings! And it's cute (it's the one with the hamsters in the ad).
- He also got a USED 2005 Scion tC for Ryan, which we had NOT discussed. OMG I was so angry! I tried to return it but the purchase contract was signed. What was he thinking?? (or NOT thinking!)
- The monthly cost of the two cars plus the insurance for all three cars is less than the cost of the one big truck. Go figure. BUT I am still mad. I had to wait until I was 25 to get my own car because my parents told me I had to pay for it myself, which I did. I wouldn't mind the car being a gift if it was for a special occasion...18rh birthday...high school graduation...not on dad's whim!
- Ryan LOVES the car, even though it was purchased AS IS. The spare key looks like it got run over and doesn't work. The second day after he had the car it wouldn't start, probably because Ryan had the radio on for hours while he cleaned it the day before (but Darrell was able to turn the Kia around in the small space in the driveway to face the Scion and jump-started it!). The back tire got flat and had to be fixed.
- It is convenient for him to have a car (though he could use his dad's while I am at work). Today he drove back to school for a Kalalea meeting and is at band practice tonight. If he didn't drive I would be at school right now waiting to pick him up. He turned in his provisional drivers license and got his permanent license last week.
- Ryan and Kylie broke up, after 9 months. I'm sorry that it ended and hope that they will be friends one day. We've been so used to seeing her almost everyday for many months, so it's a little sad. When I see something I think she might like or be interested in, I think that I need to remember to tell her. Then I remember that I won't be seeing her. We really liked her parents too. But it will be good for Ryan to concentrate on band during marching season and focus on his senior year.
- Was watching a show with Ryan last night about "The Best Thing I Ever Ate..." I think the best meal I ever had was at Nobu a few Christmases ago during our Beachfront Unit party. But a few other things are from my childhood: okai (rice gruel) that my Babachan made for me when I was sick. Musubi she made from hot just-out-of-the-ricepot rice, made into perfect triangle shapes, when we were waiting for my dad to pick us up from her house in the afternoon. Ripe mango dipped in shoyu and pepper. And tofu sprinkled with Aji-no-moto (MSG) and shoyu (the Aji was crunchy too). All stuff I haven't had in a long time, but somehow came to mind. Miss my Babachan and Jichan and my aunties. And it will be sad when my aunty sells their house later this year.
- People are scary...I'm a nice person, don't know why people would deliberately want to get me in trouble or hurt me, without provocation. I don't even know them very well. Won't say anymore here. I'm just incredulous.
- Darrell's infectious disease doctor said he didn't need to come back, after being under treatment for 6 months! Japan messed up his foot but opening it up got the new doctor (podiatrist) to operate and found what was keeping it from healing before. So it's finally healing better.
- Our neighbors across the street, who were the first in the neighborhood when my parents moved here 40+ years ago, are selling their house and moving away. Their mom passed away earlier this year and they decided to sell. Mrs. Kaloi was the anchor for the street, welcoming newcomers, keeping an eye on things, everyone knew her. We will miss them (though not that yapping dog they just got who keeps barking at nothing).
- Summer school ends this week, Band Camp starts Saturday for one week, back to school on August 11. Summer just flew by.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
ten on tuesday
I've seen this on various blogs and wanted to do it, but I always remember when it's not Tuesday. So here we go, since it's finally Tuesday and I have a bunch of random stuff that I've been meaning to write about. Some should have their own posts, but oh well.
No comments:
Post a Comment