Sunday, November 28, 2010

empty nest

Ryan was gone from Friday morning until late Saturday night:  he worked 11-4 on Friday at the mall, then went to school to meet up with the band to march in the Kalihi Christmas Parade.  I worked and didn't think I would be able to make it to watch the parade so I went home (had wanted to walk the parade, but with the injured knee I didn't think I could do it).  Darrell and I decided to go to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I."  The movie was totally awesome (though I missed Hogwarts); can't wait until Part II.  After the parade, Ryan and Kaala went to his friend Ogas' house to sleep over.  Saturday morning he was up early and went up to school for band Christmas Concert practice.  He then went to work from 5-9 at the mall.  While he was out Saturday, Darrell and I went to see "Tangled," another great movie. We were home Saturday evening and I was sitting at home thinking that this is what an empty nest feels like!  It's so quiet when Ryan's not home!  And Darrell and I have to find things to do.  I wound up reading a whole book while doing laundry (between going to two movies this weekend!  we haven't been to a movie since June).  Darrell mostly just napped and watched TV.  Usually we are so busy volunteering; I guess it's been a way to be around Ryan.  Now that he is working, we hardly see him.  Snce he drives, he is more independent. (And when I went to the mall Wednesday evening and stopped by to say hi I got the dirtiest look from him so I guess I'll stay away when he's working!)

Not sure what I would do if he goes away to school one day.  At least he texts me to let me know where he is because he knows I'll worry.

We did do things together today, Sunday, since he was off work.  Ryan needed to go to Manoa Chinese Cemetery to take pictures for a ghost story project he is working on for English.  So we drove out to rainy Manoa this morning.  The children's section is right at the front and made me so sad.  Apparently the children's graves are together so that their ghosts can play together.  No ghosts today...but there were a couple of weird things that happened tonight.  I was sitting in what we call the "middle room" all by myself and all of a sudden my guitar made a sound like someone plucked a string.  And no one was here but me!  Then later while we were all watching TV in different rooms, the front of the fan mounted on the kitchen wall popped off (the metal grill that covers the fan blades)!  For no good reason, and no one was in the kitchen either.  I was sitting here and watched it fly off the fan!

Ok, I don't think a ghost followed us home, and there are probably explanations but that was all a little creepy.

After Manoa, we drove out to Waipahu to check out Tanioka's for lunch since we are thinking of using them to cater Ryan's graduation party.  Then we headed to Waikele to see if there were any good deals.  Stopped in at the Coach outlet store, but luckily there wasn't anything that caught my eye!  Ryan did get a jacket and wallet (not from Coach!.  And I signed up for the Godiva club so I get a free chocolate once a month.

So it's Sunday night and I should be getting to bed.  Had a mostly nice weekend, ordered our holiday cards from Costco so I did get something done!

No comments: