Friday, August 8, 2008

08-08-08!

August 8, 2008...the luckiest day of the year? Maybe...it was a great day for me.

Happy Birthday to my Dad, who turned 75! He said he logged onto his computer in the morning, and it just happened to be 8:08 a.m. so that was pretty cool. We took him to Haleiwa Joe's at Haiku Gardens for dinner. The food there is terrific, as is the service.
That morning I had a dentist appointment, the regular 6 month cleaning. Usually it's more of an ordeal for me, but it went well. My hygienist Nicole is the best and my dentist Dr. Lindsey Lau is super nice. I do have to go back and have what might be a wisdom tooth fragment removed; it's been embedded in my gums for years, but now it could cause problems, so Dr. Lau wants to take it out. I got him to postpone it until my next 6 month appointment! Lucky day for me!
Got to work and just checked email and did a few things before I met my boss and some co-workers for lunch at Tsukiji Restaurant at Ala Moana Center. They were going to take me out for my birthday earlier, but everyone was so busy that I felt bad about it, so I asked that we celebrate my birthday with my friend Janice's birthday, which was today. She is my counterpart at the other hotel in our division, and she has helped me so much in adjusting to my job. I feel so fortunate to have met her and to have her as a friend. We are a great team!
After I got back from lunch, it was practically time to leave, since I wanted to leave early to go out to dinner with Dad! So lucky that it was a "light" day at work, no pressing deadlines!
And while I was at work (actually at lunch!), Ryan and Sin to Society were at the rehearsal studio recording a demo CD! The grandma of Keali'i, the drummer, knows Augie T, the local comedian, and he was interested in hearing the band and maybe having them on his radio or TV show! So they needed to record a demo CD for him to listen to. So exciting! Can't wait to hear them.
After we got home from dinner, we watched part of the Beijing Summer Olympics Opening Ceremonies. We almost tuned out because the only parts we saw were of the countries marching in. It was interesting at first, since there were so many countries I had never heard of, but it got very long and boring because there were so many countries I had never heard of! Then we saw the torch lighting part...WOW! When the
Chinese athlete Li Ning was elevated to the top of the stadium and then proceeded to RUN while suspended in air around the top of the stadium, while a digital scroll unrolled...WOW! And then he lit the fuse with his torch to light the huge Olympic torch at the top of the stadium...WOW! While he was up in the air, I was so nervous that the flame would burn out, but it was so spectacular. Going in to the Olympics, I wasn't very interested, but now we've been watching all weekend, cheering for all the athletes, every country.
08-08-08 was a very memorable day!

No comments: