Monday, August 25, 2008

"Sin to Society Rocks Out at Summer Splash 2008"

Ryan and Sin to Society performed at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard 100th Anniversary employee celebration, "Summer Splash 2008," at the Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park on Saturday.





They got the gig because Keali'i's dad Nomana is a rigger at the shipyard. There were maybe 5,000 people at the park that day; it ws bought out by the shipyard. Everyone was assigned a lunch period and there was different entertainment while each group ate. Sin to Society played at 1:30 while the last group ate. The crowd was smaller than the other two groups, but they had a considerable audience who really seemed to enjoy their playing.

They were a little down after, due to some mechanical malfunctions, but we parents felt this was their best performance yet. Ryan's guitar went out during one song, but you really couldn't tell; the only reason I noticed was because I was filming and watching him the whole time. He was totally professional, just unplugging his pedal and plugging his guitar in.
They hadn't done a sound check, so we didn't find out that Nick's keyboard was not hooked up to the sound system until they started playing Journey's "Faithfully," which featured the keyboard. But they kept playing and Ka'ala kept singing. The songs that they've been practicing were great; they just need to keep practicing and work on the banter in between songs. And we learn something at every gig that will help improve them in the long run.
They also did an original song that they wrote together. I liked it because they each had a solo part in it. I told them that they should develop it some more so that they can try out for "Brownbags to Stardom."\
I was disappointed that a couple of the boys' parents didn't make the effort to come watch and support their kids; I know at least one of the boys was really bummed about it.

No comments: