No school on Friday so Ryan stayed over at his friend Keali'i's house with Sin to Society members to practice. They wound up going to the "Rise Against" concert at Pipeline Cafe, with a couple of the boys' dads. Not something I would have approved had I known ahead of time. Not really something I would like him to do again, now that I've heard what happened there. At one concert he went to before, they bought general admission tickets where they stand up the entire time and jump around and dance. But at this concert, there was a "mosh pit." According to Wikipedia (everything's in Wikipedia), "moshing" or "slamming, refers to the activity in which audience members at live music performances aggressively push or slam into each other. Moshing is frequently accompanied by stage diving, crowd surfing, mic swinging, smashing instruments, and headbanging. It is commonly associated with concerts by hardcore punk, heavy metal and rock artists in general. Moshing primarily takes place at live shows...typically done in an area in front of the stage which is referred to as the mosh pit."
Ok, I'm showing my age and my overall square-ness by not knowing what the heck a "mosh pit" is.
The dads kept the kids protected most of the time, out of the pit, but one of Ryan's friends (by his choice) got lifted up into the crowd and was carried overhead to the area in front of the stage five times! The security guys in front of the stage got him down and he made his way back to his friends. People were slamming into each other and hitting each other. Crazy!
I know I told Ryan before that he should go to watch bands play live to help him with his band performances, but now I'm not so sure.
Trying to get Ryan to read more, not just what's required for school. At Barnes & Noble today, he picked up Slash by Slash of Guns 'N' Roses fame, and he is loving it so far and is reading it right now instead of watching "Family Guy" or some other stupid show on TV (score one for Mom!). I got Marie Osmond's latest autobiography, Might As Well Laugh About It Now. I've been a fan of the Osmonds since fourth grade so I really wanted to read this. Love her attitude towards life.
Ok, I think five posts is enough for today!
1 comment:
Thanks, Carolyn. That is a good lesson to learn. Ashlee is only 1-1/2 and I wish I had taken more at holidays and events that have already happened.
Post a Comment