Wednesday, May 26, 2010

memories

A friend with a two-year-old little girl told me yesterday that she thought of me every night because of a story I told her a while ago about Ryan that is similar to how her little girl acts now.  When he was a baby, he was never attached to his thumb or a toy or blankie.  The only way he would go to sleep was in our arms, either rocked or nursing or with a bottle.  Eventually he wound up only able to sleep if he lay on my arm in bed, cuddled up next to me.  He always insisted that I wear a  "sleeve shirt" and not a "tank tock."  I tried to give him my shirt (an old, soft shirt that had been washed many times), but no, that didn't work; my ARM had to be in the shirt.  If I got up after he had fallen asleep, and then went back to bed, he would maneuver himself onto my arm and cuddle up next to me, even though he was still asleep.  It was a little irritating at times because he wouldn't go to bed without me, even though I had things to do.  But now I miss those times with the little sweaty head pushed up next to mine, and the little body that seemed to fit perfectly next to me, on my arm.

No comments: