Darrell's Mom's family had a reunion on Molokai at the end of July. I had thought about all 3 of us going, but with not knowing how my Mom was going to be then and knowing I probably would have to work (PLUS it was my birthday weekend and going to Molokai is not exactly how I wanted to spend it), Darrell got his own air ticket and planned to go alone. Ryan was going to go but his band, The Instigators, picked up a gig at the Mercury Bar downtown.Since Darrell was not going to be around, I asked a couple of girlfriends if they wanted to go with me. I'm always nervous about going to unfamiliar places, especially potentially sketchy places like downtown Honolulu on a Friday night. Luckily it was early evening and still light outside. The Mercury Bar was described online as a "classy dive bar." Teri June agreed to join me...what a great friend!
The place is really tiny, probably the size of our living room, and the music was SUPER loud. But the kids did great, really getting into it. Too bad there wasn't much of a crowd. Some sound guys, the bartender, a couple of spectators, Teri and me.
Ryan asked for a pic with me and then he posted it with something nice.
On Saturday, Dad and I met up with Jan and Craig at Anna Miller's for a late breakfast/lunch. When Darrell got home on Sunday, we went to an early dinner at CPK to see Ryan, who was working. Grandpa was proud to see Ryan working so hard.
During dinner, Darrell got a text from our niece Ipo saying that she was in labor at the hospital (she had actually started having contractions while he was still on Molokai at their house). He texted her to hurry up and give birth by midnight since it was my birthday. She texted back, "no problem, baby should be here by 8."
And she was right! Around 8:30, he received this photo via text message. Kingston had arrived! Here he is, all brand-new, with mom Ipo and oldest sister Ale'a. I never had anyone close share a birthday with me, so it was nice to have this special "gift." Welcome to the world, Kingston!
Overall it was a nice birthday weekend.



No comments:
Post a Comment