Sunday, August 25, 2013

small world



A couple of weeks ago Darrell told me we were invited to go to a 50th wedding anniversary party for his Mom's friends, Ed and Grace.  They all live on Molokai but were having the party here.  Grace and my mother-in-law Leola were classmates and are still close friends.  Grace and her sister even came to Ryan's graduation party.   

I had to work that weekend so I didn't really want to go but I'm glad I did.  It was such a nice party, with all of their family and friends.  And because the couple planned it themselves, they included a lot of personal touches.  It was great that almost their entire wedding party were there.  Comedian Frank DeLima was also there, and Grace, my mother-in-law and two other ladies in their kupuna hula halau danced two numbers.

And the small world part:  This lady came up to me and told me she and my Dad were classmates at Lanakila School!  She said she was just looking at her first grade class picture and saw him and his cousins in the photo.  Her name is Elsie and she is Grace's sister-in-law.  I told Dad and he totally remembered her and brought out HIS first grade class photo.


Dad is fifth from the left in the second row from the top.  His cousin Max is standing, fourth from the left.  Elsie is in the second row, sixth from the left.  Coincidentally, she is also my classmate Jill's aunty, and I can really see the resemblance between them.
My first grade class was also in this old building at Lanakila.  I think it was located at the corner of Kuakini and Alaneo before it was torn down.  I don't know if I remember everyone in my first grade class, so it's amazing that Elsie and my Dad do, especially since it was 75 years ago!

No comments: