Monday, August 17, 2009

A 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration

Accompanied my Dad to my Aunty Gladys and Uncle Jimmy's 50th wedding anniversary celebration at the Willows. Dad and Aunty Gladys are first cousins (their moms were sisters) and Dad was Uncle Jimmy's best man. When his kids asked Uncle Jimmy how he and Aunty Gladys met, he said that he met her at my Dad's house since Gladys was there. So Dad got credit for getting them together.

Here's a pic of the couple with their groomsman Kenneth, best man (my dad, Sadao), and groomsman Morris. One groomsman, my Uncle Tami (Aunty Gladys' brother) has passed away.


The maid of honor and bridesmaids were all there too, but unfortunately, three are widows. Aunty and Uncle are so fortunate to enjoy good health, five children and seven grandchildren.

Since they were expecting my mom to attend with Dad, I was seated with the wives of the "poker gang." They seated the men of the wedding party with the couple or on a separate table and the wives were on their own table. So funny they did things this way, but I had a nice time, even though I didn't really know these ladies. When we were young, I remember the periodic poker parties at our house. I'm glad my dad got to see his old friends.

It was so nice to see my cousins Kevin, Gay, Dawn, Chad and Jolie again, after way too many years. It was great to meet their families too, for the first time. We played together for so many years when we were little, getting together for holidays and New Year's Eve, but we never really saw each other once we got older. Hope we will be able to stay in touch.

No comments: