Thursday, December 31, 2009

Out With The Old, In With the New

I am so over 2009. It has been a rough year.

There have been good times. But lots of not-so-good times too. Worries and aggravations. Frustrations and even despair.

Right now - 10:45 pm on New Year's Eve - mirrors what this year has been like. Darrell is sick in bed and has been for over a week. And for him, sick = grouchy. He's miserable so why shouldn't everyone else be too? Not fun for any of us. It also sounds like a freaking war zone out there. What's up with what sounds like bombs going off all evening (and at random times over the past couple of weeks)? I'd like it just to be quiet so I can curl up and go to sleep...on the couch, of course, since the sick man is hogging the entire bed.

I'd like to go to sleep and wake up to a world that is shiny, fresh and new with hope and promise.

We did wind up having a nice evening though. Dad made Portugese bean soup and I picked up salad, shrimp and sashimi from Costco. Mom got sushi from Genki. And there were lots of desserts: Jan and Craig brought ice cream cupcakes from Coldstone for Mom's birthday, Kylie brought a dobash cake and Karen, Neal and Nicky brought a banana cream pie. Rock Band was played for a while, with Grandma trying to make them turn down the volume a few times.

I think everyone is already asleep or falling asleep in the living room right now, a big change from prior years when Ryan was out there burning money, uh I mean, fireworks with the neighbors.

Well, another hour until the new year begins. Goodbye 2009, not sad to see you go.

No comments: