Got the idea from the awesome Ali Edwards that I should have a WORD for the year. Not just resolutions that will fall to the wayside in a week, but a WORD that will be a reminder of what I want to accomplish this year, a theme, a goal.But what word to pick?
Then I saw that another great blogger, Kelli Crowe, chose the word PLAN. And I just happened to have my Franklin Covey planner with the brand new 2010 pages in front of me when I saw her post. I've always had calendars, since middle school, at least, where I tried to record everything that I had to do and everything I did. When I started working I got a Daytimer, which had even more space for recording stuff. Then around the time I got pregnant and we bought our house on Kauai, I got my first Franklin planner. It was kind of an epiphany...I recorded things I needed to do and things I did, but didn't really PLAN, didn't really set goals and plan how to accomplish them.
This past year was a little different than most. I had a lot on my to-do list, with applying for jobs and volunteer work and selling bags, but I don't feel like I got a lot of important things done. I didn't scrapbook (Ryan recently reminded me that I haven't really scrapbooked since he was little), I didn't organize my files, I didn't catalog my photos, I wasn't all that good at keeping in touch with friends and family, and I didn't study to learn something new (like Japanese language again, though it was on my mind to do it since we are going to Japan in June). Planning for these things meant I had to really think about what I wanted to accomplish in order to get them done. Planning seemed like a lot of work. It was just easier to do a lot of busywork and watch "CSI" reruns than do important things and have something to show for it after.
So this year I will PLAN. And I will follow through on my plans.
Sounds like a plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment