Thursday, January 1, 2015

thanksgiving

It's Thanksgiving so it's time for pumpkin crunch cake!  This is the only time of year that I bake and the only thing I make!  Found out that we only make pumpkin crunch in Hawaii?  I saw Instagram posts about it and only local people knew about it.  I got the recipe from a lady on Kauai when I worked there.  It's different from other recipes (and better!) because it uses sweetened condensed milk (rather than evaporated milk) and I use macadamia nuts instead of walnuts.  (I had extra ingredients so I wound up making it for Christmas dinner too and copied my friend Dee by making it more "Christmas" rather than "Thanksgiving" by adding colored sprinkles on top.)









We kept our tradition of going to the Prince Court for Thanksgiving brunch.  We invited Aunty Shige and Ryan was able to join us.


















Nice photo of Jan and Craig with Dad.



















Photo with Dad and Aunty.  Can you tell Dad is over the picture-taking already?


















And we were able to get a family photo for the Christmas card.  Ryan had a photo taken with his phone and posted this on Instagram.




















I was excited (and stressed) that we were going to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house.  We invited our niece Ehu and her family and Darrell's cousin Nathan and his wife (Ryan was working and Jan and Craig were headed to the mainland).  At the last minute, Ehu's son got sick so they weren't able to stay but I had them come over to pick up food.  I had ordered the Thanksgiving meal from the Ala Moana Hotel again, and it was delicious as usual.  Because Darrell had cut up the turkey earlier and I had split up the food for Ehu to take and put the rest away until Nathan could come, I didn't get a beautiful photo of the turkey and food spread out on the table, hahaha!  All I got was a pic of the special gift the chef included with a sprig of pine and a stick of cinnamon.

We had a fun evening.






Hello, I didn't even think to take a photo of Nathan and his son Hale when they came over.  I was so busy heating up everything!  But I did go to the big craft fair at NBC on Saturday and got a photo of Nathan and his mom, Aunty Lucy, at their booth.  Aunty makes beautiful quilts.

Overall, it was a good Thanksgiving.  Miss the big celebrations we had growing up, going to Mom's side for lunch and Dad's side for dinner.  But we've started our own traditions.








No comments: