Sunday, October 26, 2008

KS Band Maui Tour - Day 4, Part I

Last day on Maui...after packing up, checking out of the hotel, filling up the rental car with gas and getting breakfast for Darrell at McDonald's, we headed to Krispy Kreme for omiyage. Since this is the only one in Hawaii, people have started bringing doughnuts back when they visit Maui, along with Komoda Bakery creampuffs, and HomeMaid Bakery or Sam Sato manju.




I've been to KK in Phoenix and in Vegas, but don't remember seeing the doughnuts being made. Here they are coming out of the fryer.





Cooling off and draining, and heading into the icing machine...






And coming out iced. Yum!

I'm not really a doughnut person, but these were good.
We bought a few dozen to bring back to Oahu.



Then we returned the car and the Dollar RAC shuttle took us to the Superferry terminal. I didn't realize it was so late...10:15 and we were sailing at 11:00. We were almost the last ones on board! Darn those doughnuts...we wound up running back in to get more since we had a 2-fer-1 coupon!


Got one lousy family photo on the Superferry before we left the dock. The band was assigned the entire back (aft?) section of the boat. They loved it...got to walk around and play cards and study and talk with their friends. A lot less restrictive than a plane ride. Another passenger wrote to the PR Director of Superferry to compliment the kids on their great behavior, which was really nice.

Darrell wanted to sit up front so we upgraded to the front of the ferry, where there are larger seats (first class) and windows 180 degrees in front. I had taken Dramamine before we got there, but I was feeling a little queasy because the boat was really swaying while it left port. So I took one more pill and promptly passed out! Woke up an hour into the ride, and it was smooth sailing. I guess once we're out at sea, the stabilizers kick in, so it's a smooth ride. They said there were whales spotted the day before, so they were going slower than usual. I got and walked around, visiting with the group in the back. There are three snack bars, one in each section of the ferry, as well as a game room and gift shop.


What island was this? I forget...

We passed Molokai and Lanai.
These are some of the hardworking moms who chaperoned and made the food to feed the kids...Laurie, Ella, Desiree.
And this is Brenza (with her son, who will be a freshman tuba player next year), the lady who put the tour together. She and her husband Dennis work so hard for the band.

No comments: