I was so happy that my best friend Karen came home for a visit with her family this past week. It was just a quick visit since Nick is still in school in California, but Karen was here to attend her class reunion. There was some hope that her most famous classmate, our President Barack Obama (formerly known at Punahou as "Barry"), would attend, but there was only a cardboard cutout of him there that people could take pictures with. I'm hoping to get a copy of the photo Karen took with it.
We went shopping on Thursday, going first to the Brighton store at Ala Moana Center (where the above pic was taken). Karen first introduced me to Brighton - they have such nice jewelry, and she and I are always buying each other bracelets from there. I was so happy to find this guitar charm...I have been looking for one to represent Ryan's guitar playing. And Karen got this for me, as well as a chain, for an early birthday gift.We had bentos from Shirokiya for lunch...we used to always do this when we were in college. Karen and I first met 30 years ago during freshman year at UH, when we were in Yoshikawa-sensei's Japanese class, and have been inseparable since, even though she's lived in California for over 22 years.
On Saturday night, their last night here, we got to have dinner with them at Gyotaku and spend just a little more time. Can't wait until their next visit, hopefully at Christmas-time.
No comments:
Post a Comment