Sunday, September 13, 2009

Baryshnikov












Jan got complimentary tickets to see Mikhail Baryshnikov and Ana Laguna in "Three Solos and a Duet" at Hawaii Theater. I was so excited to see Baryshnikov in person; have been a fan since "The Turning Point" years ago.

Maybe it was a little over my head...maybe I'm not really a fan of modern dance...maybe I didn't realize that he is 61 and doesn't dance like he did when he was younger. But I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. We kinda scratched our heads after three of the performances in the four acts.

But he is as handsome as ever and very charming. The highlight was the part where he danced with his younger self - projected on a screen. I kept expecting him to do a jete leap or pirouette and he stopped and just watched his younger self. It was cute but disappointing at the same time.

But at least I can say that I've seen Baryshnikov dance.

No comments: