Something weird happened the other day. Dad was outside with me when I was leaving for work and he had the kitchen door open. A small moth was circling around and got inside the house before we could get the door closed.
When I was driving to work, I was thinking of the superstition (not sure if Japanese, Filipino, or just "local") about large moths representing the spirit of someone who has passed away coming to visit. I remember seeing a large moth outside my cousin-in-law Lillian's house when we were there for a family party, and they said it was my cousin Marcus coming to see everyone. I think my Aunty Dot said that there was a large moth that always hung around her kitchen window, maybe her late husband, Uncle Al. But because the moth was little, I thought that it probably wasn't Mom; hopefully she is happy wherever she is and didn't need to come by to check up on us.

I got to work and forgot about it until I was back in the car later that day, heading to meet Darrell for a doctor's appointment. I started thinking about the moth again.
I parked the car at the physician's office building, got out to walk to the elevator, and what do I see? A large moth on the walkway! These types of moths are not something you normally see, at least in my experience. I can't even remember the last time I saw one.
I stopped to take a picture with my phone, said "Hi Mom!"
Coincidence?
Anyways, Dad attended the dedication for the new area in the cemetery where Mom's niche is. Mom's ashes are still at home with us while we were waiting for the niche to be completed.
He asked Jan and me to plan for the inurnment. Maybe on the one year anniversary, July 13? I don't feel ready but it must be hard on him too since we really haven't done anything to move Mom's things out of their room. Her clothes are still in the drawers and closet. Her desk and TV look like she just stepped away. Dad even has her bed made with her blankets. When is the right time?
No comments:
Post a Comment