Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Lorna!


We celebrated my friend Lorna's birthday today, having lunch at Ichiriki Restaurant on Piikoi Street. I've known Lorna for over six years; we worked together at one hotel for the four years that I was there, and when I moved to my current hotel, I was able to convince her to come and work with me again. She is such a hard worker, always looks for more work to do to keep busy. She keeps me sane, usually managing to grab work off my desk before I notice it's missing and getting it done! It's so great to have such a great friend at work to talk to. Doesn't she look cute in her birthday hat?


Seven of our co-workers joined us and treated Lorna to lunch. The nabe was very yummy - we ordered three different broths to cook in, the "Ichiriki" special, miso, or what I had, the "Pirikara" or spicy one. It came with pork, beef or chicken, and tofu, aburage, shiitake mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, cabbage and green onions to cook in the broth.

We also had tsukune meatball mixtures in cutout bamboo that we dropped into the hot broth to cook. It tastes like the filling for wontons or gyoza. Some of us also got an order of ramen noodles to cook in the broth after all the meat and vegetables were cooked.





Here's how it looks when the meat and vegetables are cooking. The divider allows two people to have different broths to cook in.

Happy Birthday, Lorna!


No comments: