Last Wednesday got a call from Hale Ola (school dispensary) that Ryan had rolled his ankle when he stepped on a rock while running his 2 miles in PE and probably sprained it. This is his right ankle this time...last year he stepped on a seed pod while running and sprained his left ankle. They iced it down and gave him crutches and ibuprofen and were going to send him back to his classes, but he asked to go home since it would be too hard to get to his classes on crutches. Darrell had to go get him because I had a meeting. But I stayed home Thursday to take him to Dr. Lisa to get it checked out because it got huge and bruised-looking. They xrayed it and luckily it wasn't broken, but today, a week later, he's still limping and is still excused from running in PE. They run three times per week, 2 miles each time.
After the doctor, we went to lunch at The Food Company in Enchanted Lake, Kailua...love the crab cake bento! Had been craving it for a while. He told me that he had to make a kahili for Hawaiian Culture class so I called the only expert I know, Herman, our hotel Chief Engineer, for help. I thought I could buy the feathers and other materials from Ben Franklin, since it is in the same shopping center as The Food Company. Turns out Herman offered to take me to a feather shop instead, but I was glad I went to Ben Franklin. Found these:
A line of scrapbook products called "Rock Star"! Perfect for the "Rock Star" in my life! Got the album and stickers.
Happy Valentine's Day to me!
Happy Valentine's Day to me!Ryan and his band, "The Michael Sproles Project," are performing at the school's Hoolaulea this coming Saturday. He is also performing with the marching band, and working to prepare malasadas for the band booth 6:15-8:15 am. Darrell and I volunteered to help the Class of 2011 (freshman class) fried saimin/yakitori booth form 6-9 am and the band malasada booth from 9-12. Busy, busy weekend coming up.
Got up early this morning because summer school registration was opening up at 5 am online and we wanted to make sure Ryan got the class he wanted. Last year I didn't act right away because he was just getting into high school and I wasn't sure what he needed to take; consequences were that he didn't get into any of the classes he needed and wound up taking a class that he would get credit for but that didn't satisfy any core requirements. (He did make good friends, though, and loved the class anyways.) Since I didn't want to be a bad mom again, I made sure to get up by 4:30 am (which also meant I got up at 12:30, 2:30, 3:30 too, anxious that I would miss the alarm!). We got the class right away (Algebra I, which his teacher is recommending he re-take since he is not doing all that great this quarter) and his bus assignment. Yes! All done! He said some of his friends who logged on just a few minutes after 5 am couldn't get their classes as they were already closed (upper classmen had first priority, registering last week).
We also signed Ryan up with Sylvan for algebra tutoring. It's only been 3 weeks (one hour, every Saturday), but he said it's helped his understanding a lot so far. It's been a long time since I had to solve algebraic problems on a graph, etc. etc., so I'm not much help. Wondered if it would be ok with Ryan if I posted stuff like this, but he's not embarassed...he tells his friends everything anyways.
He is also anxiously waiting for the arrival of his new guitar. Since he improved his grades tremendously last quarter over his first quarter in high school, we caved and told him he could have a new guitar, an Ibanez RG something or other, that he had been coveting. It's also his birthday gift. I also got him another amp, one that works much better than the one he is trying to sell on Craigslist. The proceeds from that sale are supposed to reimburse me, but the scammer who offered to buy it hasn't come through (yes, Ope Yemi, that means you). So he is posting it again tonight and we'll hope for the best.
Here's the Craigslist listing:
Fender Deluxe Hot Rox Amplifier - $500
2008-02-20, 8:43PM HST The world standard for a portable, powerful, full-featured tube amp, the 40-watt Hot Rod Deluxe is very aptly named, indeed! Awe inspiring Fender tone issues forth from a 12” 8-ohm Fender Special Design Eminence speaker fueled by a pair of 6L6 Groove Tube output tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes. You get three channels—"normal," "drive: and "more drive"—with gain and master controls for the "drive" channel and a "bright" switch for the "normal" channel. Other features include FX loop, Fender long-spring reverb, external speaker jack, internal variable bias control, two-button three-function channel footswitch, chrome panel with vintage pointer knobs, black textured vinyl covering and silver grille cloth. Cover included. This amp was purchased in early December and is in great condition. I have only used it for practice and there is nothing wrong with it. The Retail price of this unit is $649.99 and I am asking for $500. I feel this is a great offer because the amp is brand new.
Scammers and crooks need not reply. (No, I added the last part!)
One last thing: the boy has accumulated 9,000 text messages 3 weeks into this billing period, 4,500 incoming and 4,500 outgoing. Yikes! Thanks goodness for unlimited texting. Of course, the question is, would he be doing better in school if he was studying rather than texting?? I may be taking away the phone soon...

No comments:
Post a Comment