Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Scrapbooking...here I come!

Scrapbooking was featured on QVC last week...love to watch, and sometimes I buy because the deals are great (shipping to Hawaii sucks, though). This is what I got:






It's all kinda girly...usually all my pages are blue - for boy, for Kamehameha - but I've been inspired reading all the scrapbooking blogs.

Finished putting together a scrapbook on Sunday night for the hotel to present to Nalani Kanaka'ole Zane, who taught our managers how to make 'ohe kapala (bamboo stamps) in October. In old Hawai'i, these stamps were used to stamp designs on tapa (kapa) fabric. Each of us came up with a design to carve onto a piece of bamboo. After carving out the design, we stamped it onto a piece of muslin fabric, which we could wear as a kihei robe (draped like a toga). Everyone wrote about the meaning of their stamps and I took photos and compiled everything into a scrapbook for the Zanes. I used some tapa fabric printed paper from Creative Native Crafts and put all the pages into a lauhala album from the same company. I hope they will enjoy it.

It just felt good to get back into scrapbooking, even doing simple pages. Some of the pages nowadays are so complicated, and the "in" style is collage-y. I'm not used to it; my style is more clean and simple. But I can't wait to try the new stuff.

No comments: