Sunday, May 31, 2009

Another Nightmare

I don't know whether I have more nightmares or if maybe I just remember them more because I wake up slowly and don't get jarred awake by alarm clocks.

This was another long and involved one. It started off with me in an office downtown - my office, since apparently I started a new job. It was late, about 8:30 pm, and I was organizing my office. I realized it was late and that I should go home since I had to walk a ways to where I parked my car (this is something that has come up in interviews - no parking included as a benefit, need to park away from where the job is - have been so spoiled working for hotels!). In the dream, I kept walking around but could not find my car. Went up and down and around blocks looking for my car in a place that looked like a shady area of downtown. I never did find it before I woke up.

Was this symbolic of feeling lost right now? Still no job after four months, not sure what the future holds?

Then this week I had an interview for a job that I wasn't sure I was qualified for. I studied for the job the day before, looking at my old textbook to refresh my memory about some of the duties in the job description. I had a hard time going to sleep that night. When I finally fell asleep after midnight, I was woken up by the house alarm going off at 1 am; Darrell accidentally set off the burglar alarm by opening a window when he was trying to close it. I had a hard time falling back asleep, but finally did. The alarm clock got me up at 5 am because Darrell wanted to get up early to go buy manapua for his old staff at the hotel (his first visit back since he was laid off). Finally fell back asleep again since I didn't need to get up for another couple of hours to go to my interview. Wound up having another nightmare in that short time.

This time I was downtown again (which is where I was really going for my interview). In my dream I was also going for an interview. For some reason, I was sleeping on a street, with a fold-up mattress and blanket, I guess to make sure I was near the place I needed to go for the interview (go figure). It was so weird, dreaming that I woke up and I was lying on the sidewalk. Then I needed to go change clothes since I was in sleeping clothes, so I had to go find my car (again!). I went into a parking structure and couldn't find my car (again!). While I was walking around the street (with people in business attire looking at me funny for walking around in sleeping clothes), I met a blind woman who was trying to find the right bus to ride. I wound up trying to help her, even getting on a bus with her to ask the bus driver questions. But neither he nor any of the passengers would give me an answer. I wound up riding the bus with her because the bus driver closed the door and started moving.

I woke up for real and felt so disturbed by the dream. What a thing to dream before going to an interview, when I needed to feel confident and ready! I got up and took a shower and started to get ready, but had a hard time shaking the dream.

Luckily the interview went ok and I found my car without any problems; hopefully I will get a call-back.

I don't really feel anxious, so it's strange that the anxiety manifests itself in my dreams.

No comments: