Friday, May 22, 2009

Disappointment

Ryan didn't get drum major.

This was something he's wanted for two years, ever since he knew there was such a thing as a drum major.

This was something he's been working on over the last two years, teaching himself how to conduct and do mace-work and march.

It was even more disappointing because the kids who are drum major and asst drum major had whined to him that it was too hard and that they wanted to quit the audition process, but he encouraged them to keep going. Isn't that a sign of a good leader...to build up his team when they are down?

I'm so proud that he set a goal and worked towards it and did his best.

I'm proud that he has such loyal friends, who support him no matter what, and who would risk getting themselves in trouble through insubordination to back him and show their support.

I'm proud that he is encouraging his friends to support the new drum majors, even though they feel that the choices were wrong.

I'm proud that he is not quitting, and instead set a new goal of being tuba section leader next year.

I'm feeling that even though I was re-elected for another term on the booster club board, that I should take a break and let other parents (namely the newly-appointed drum major parents) step up and finally do some work to support the band.

Another sour note to the night: one of the color guard staff members came up to Ryan during the night and asked if he was a tuba player. When Ryan said yes, the staff person said, well, we're going to be "gunning" for the tubas next year, which I took to mean "pick on." Another color guard staff person (probably the one that was so nasty during the Rose Parade practice) was there too and just said "f*cking tubas." WTF?! What is wrong with these people? These are staff people the band directors bring in to help train the kids for the field show.

After all the work I did on the end of year banquet, it was gratifying to see that it was successful and the kids and their families had a great time. It was disappointing that, unfortunately, the night didn't end well for us. We left early, while everyone was dancing and having a grand ole time.

No comments: