After we returned from Big Bear, the plan was to return to the hotel, get cleaned up, and walk 4 blocks to the Medieval Times show. However, we were so late that the bus took us directly to the show. Two of our boys had skipped Snow Day to go with one of the boys' parents for the day so I called to let them know we were running late. Due to miscommunication, the parents left the boys at the hotel alone, instead of waiting until we returned to turn them over to us. The boys wound up walking to the show with other members of the group, and neither the boys nor the parents who told them to come along bothered to let us know. So when we got to Medieval Times, we thought the two boys were missing. Darrell wound up catching a ride back to the hotel to look for them. He got security to open their room for him but the boys weren't there. Ryan helped me look in the show for the boys and our chaperone coordinator wrote notes to be passed along to our group asking if anyone knew where the boys were. After being on the phone with Darrell and the boy's parents, we finally got a note back that the kids were at the show after all. I wound up only eating bread, a couple of bites of soup and the chocolate tart dessert, packed up the chicken leg and ribs. I really didn't get to enjoy the show at all, was so worried about the boys. And the place smells like horse, didn't really help with the appetite! Found out tonight that about 130 people got sick after the show...stomach flu that we passed around to each other, food poisoning from Medieval Times, or just dirty hands from Snow Day/bus and then being forced to eat with our hands! I heard that some of the kids couldn't fly home as scheduled because they were too sick. Luckily Ryan made it home ok, even though he got sick too that day. And luckily I got sick only after I got home.Everyone got into the show...cheering for the knights. Maybe if I hadn't been so preoccupied, I would have enjoyed the show more. I thought it was kinda cheesy...
After the show, gathered up my boys and walked them back. They all had a great time. When we got back to the hotel, we briefed the boys on the plans for the next day and return home. Darrell and I were leaving the hotel early and wouldn't see the boys the next day, so we had to make sure they knew who their flight chaperones were. We were so lucky that our boys were good...they listened, followed directions, showed up on time.
We had a long chaperone meeting that night and when we got back to our room, I was supposed to pack but I was so wiped out that I set the alarm for 3 am and went to sleep. Darrell wound up staying up to pack for both of us, 5 bags plus a box Karen brought for us.
The trip was over! It was a great experience, but one that we won't repeat very soon...until the next band trip to Australia in two years?!
No comments:
Post a Comment