This is Ryan's second time doing this run (see the writeup about the first one here). He finished in 1 hour 5 minutes, beating his time from last year as well as his maximum allowed time of 1 hour 18 minutes. He said he could have gone faster but he cruised the last mile since he had done so well during the early part of the race that he had 20 minutes to finish it. But thank goodness, unlike last year, the weather was great, and he can now check off one of his graduation requirements. Last year because he was 45 seconds slower than his allowed time, he had to do another10k run later to pass his junior year PE requirement.
It's amazing he did so well though because last night he was feeling so sick. His boss let him off early from work because he looked so terrible, and after taking two Tylenol Cold pills and two Advil, he went to bed at 8:30 pm. I checked on him a couple of time during the night to make sure he didn't have a fever. When he got up at 4:30 am this morning, he took the same doses of pills again, had a small breakfast and 5-hour energy drink, and he said he felt strong.
My plan for today was to have Darrell drop us off since there's limited parking in the area at Lehua Elementary School, and I would stay in the cafeteria like I did last year to wait for Ryan to finish so I could take pictures. But I got a stern, no Mom, don't come! So Darrell and I headed to Zippy's for a little breakfast while waiting for Ry to finish. The race started at 6:45 and he finished before 8 am. We came back a little before that so I got my pictures after all. Here are some of the senior band students who also ran: James, Keola, Roxy, Joel, Ryan and Nainoa.
And we even got a family pic too!
Congratulations, Ry!
Then we headed home so he could shower and change, then went to UH Manoa for the open house. Ka'ala drove so they went off together after that to do some shopping and eat lunch. He came home about 2:45 and had an hour nap before going to the school's Sophomore Banquet at Kekuhaupi'o tonight. Busy day!
No comments:
Post a Comment